Healing karma is actually not that difficult. We can make it difficult – by hemming and hawing over things, dragging our feet, or otherwise being resistant to growth or change – but fundamentally, healing karma is natural and easy. And it makes us lighter. Happier. Healthier. So why wouldn’t we want to do it?
Healing karma is like taking really heavy ankle weights off you’ve been wearing for a really long time, and all of a sudden you feel like you’re floating or flying through life.
Let’s get clear on some key points first.
What is karma? Karma is the law of cause and effect, and it makes it so that what you choose will ultimately always come back to you. If you choose honesty, honesty will surround you. If you hurt someone, someone will hurt you in a very similar if not exact way. If you are kind and generous, you will experience others being kind and generous with you. Karma is very real. It is specific, it is always working, and it is here to help you grow and develop as a being.
Even though reaping what you’ve sown throughout your lifetimes can be really difficult to get through at times, if you let it do it’s job, you will grow tremendously from the process and this is what you are here to do.
Can I supersede or get out of old karma coming my way? No, not usually. There are rare instances when a being transcends all karmic history, but this is on the scale of miracle. Almost every being lives out their full karmic consequences.
Then what’s the point of healing karma if I can’t get out of old bad karma coming my way? The point of healing it is so that you don’t create any more of it moving forward. You will still have to deal with what’s left of your past, but sometime in your future you won’t have to relive the consequences of any bad choices you make now. You are setting yourself up for a lighter, happier, healthier future that starts right now.
Healing karma is like cleaning out bags you packed a long time ago so that you’re not continually and perpetually carrying this weight around, and into every future endeavor.
Ok, so how do I heal my karma then? Good question. Let’s get into it.
- Choice is key. Get to the place in your life where you can see and understand that everything within you is a choice. Note that we said within you. By this we mean your attitude, your perspective, your beliefs, your thoughts, yes even your feelings, and also everything you choose to say, do, and be in the world. Get into greater and greater choice with your whole self so that who you are being truly becomes a choice as opposed to a reaction, an assumption, a carryover from the past, something you learned from your parents or somebody else, or any other unconscious pattern you are unwittingly repeating.
- Choose Love as often as you can. The goal is to choose Love (with a capital L, meaning the unconditional divine love that radiates from all of life) in every place, with every person, in every situation, regardless of what’s going on. Love is what fundamentally heals everything. If you can get back to Love within anything then you are doing the work of healing, and ultimately you will be creating peace, understanding, and transcendence within every circumstance. This is the goal. This is how we ultimately heal karma 100% for all time.
- If you can’t choose Love then choose at least to learn and grow. Learning and growing require openness, curiosity, exploration, and the willingness to become more because of any experience. If you can apply what you’re learning into your next choices, the odds of you creating lighter experiences in the future are very good. Learn from every person, every situation, and every experience you have. Allow yourself to grow with everything that you learn. Become a bigger, better, greater being because of all that you experience.
- Make positive choices. Positive choices include: compassion, understanding, truthfulness, kindness, openness, patience, courage, responsibility, gratitude, allowance, forgiveness, bravery, generosity, humility, sharing, optimism, resourcefulness, fortitude, and flexibility. Negative choices include: frustration, doubt, jealousy, fear, anger, judgment, blame, sadness, regret, shame, guilt, greed, pride, dishonesty, selfishness at the cost of others, negligence, defeatism, laziness, pessimism, and inconstancy. All positive choices create positive karma. All negative choices create negative karma. In order to heal karma, all negative choices must be released and replaced with positive ones.
- Be the best person you can be. Does this sound overly simple? Maybe it is, but it is, in truth, the fundamental lesson of karma. Be a good person and you will experience good things yourself. Be a not-so-good person and you will experience not-so-good things yourself. Learn your lessons so you don’t keep repeating them over and over again. If something doesn’t feel good to you, don’t do it to yourself or to anyone else. Bring everything back to compassion, understanding, and Love over and over again until it becomes second nature to you, and keep learning and growing from everything so that you can ultimately become the happiest, healthiest version of you you’ve ever been.
Maybe after reading this list you’re a tad disappointed because you were hoping instead I’d reveal some magical secret that could instantaneously and effortlessly fix everything. I know of no such secret. Healing karma takes effort and dedication. It affirms age-old axioms such as “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, “you reap what you sow”, and “what goes around comes around” which aren’t necessarily new or sexy but are nonetheless still very true.
Healing karma is ultimately about becoming fully conscious so that everything within you becomes a choice, and once it’s a choice, you choose to affirm and re-affirm Love over and over and over again.
Become a servant of Love, give yourself fully to it’s warm and comforting embrace. Bring everything Home to the richness and peace that Love so effortlessly and wholly offers, it will be the best exercise you have ever applied yourself toward. Heal your karma by aligning yourself with ever greater Love and your life will transform in every place and part. Try it, and if you need help, call me.
Light and love to all of us everywhere <3